Duties of the County Clerk
- First, the County Clerk serves as the arm of the State with regard to the administration of the elections in the County.
- Second, the County Clerk has significant recording, filing, and indexing duties as the repository for numerous documents.
- Third, the County Clerk serves as the Ex-Officio Clerk for the Board of County Commissioners of their respective county.
- Fourth, the County Clerk also serves as the Clerk of the Probate Court.
- Fifth, the County Clerk is responsible for the issuance of marriage licenses.
- Finally, the County Clerk has other varied statutory duties, including but not limited to those relating to the routine financial transactions of the County.
The Otero County Clerk’s Office will be conducting schools of instruction for the 2021 Regular Local Election on the following dates, times and locations:
October 26, 2021 – 2:00 p.m. at the Sgt. Willie Estrada Memorial Civic Center, 800 E. 1st Street, Alamogordo.
(Civic Center, Tays Special Events Center and the Otero County Fairground workers)
October 27, 2021 – 10:00 a.m. at the Sgt. Willie Estrada Memorial Civic Center, 800 E. 1st Street, Alamogordo.
(Burro Flats, La Luz, Boles Acres, Tularosa and Mescalero workers)
October 28, 2021 – 1:00 p.m. at the Chaparral Community Center, 472 Ace Ryan Street, Chaparral. (Chaparral workers)
October 29, 2021 – at 1:00 p.m. at the Cloudcroft Council Chambers, 201 Burro Ave., Cloudcroft
(Cloudcroft, James Canyon, Mayhill, Weed, Pinon, Timberon and High Rolls workers)
November 2, 2021 – 9:00 at the Otero County Administration. (Absentee workers) This time could change depending on the total of ballots received.
SAME DAY REGISTRATION
Same day registration is being held during early voting in the Otero County Clerk’s Office, 1104 N. White Sands Blvd. Suite C, Beginning October 5, 2021 – Saturday, October 30, 2021, Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, October 30, 2021 from 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.