Teen Court is an alternative sentencing program that provides alternative dispositions for first time offenders who have been charged with a misdemeanor and are eligible for diversion. Teen Court functions in cooperation with Juvenile Probation, Magistrate and Municipal courts.
The mission of Teen Court is to deter risky behavior and hold offenders accountable for their actions. Teen Court teaches offenders to make better decisions in the future. This process involves the community through community service opportunities and volunteer programs that promote better communication between youth, parents, law enforcement and our stakeholders.
Peer Jury & Sentencing
Adjudication of offenses in completed among peers through a peer jury process. Minimum mandatory sentencing requirements for all Teen Court cases involve jury duty, community service and "Know the Law" class. All Teen Court defendants must "check-in" with the Teen Court Coordinator. Additional mandatory classes may be required depending on the offense.
There is a mandatory $40 fee for all Teen Court cases due at the time of sentencing. Payments can be made online or by money order.
In addition to Criminal Teen Court and Traffic Teen Court, Teen Court offers mentoring services, positive peer support, DWI prevention activities and community activities. Local law enforcement plays a vital role in Teen Court by providing mentoring, structure and judicial knowledge to procedures and classes.
All classes utilize evidence based education. Studies have found that even brief, informational interventions can lead to significant reductions in risky behaviors. Evidence based curriculum provided by Teen Court includes:
- Too Good For Drugs and Violence
- Protecting You Protecting Me
- Alcohol Literacy Challenge
- Drugs: Shatter the Myths
- Drugs, Brains and Behavior: The Science of Addiction
- The Brain: Understanding Neurobiology Through the Study of Addiction Alcohol Drug Undercover (video and worksheet)
- Underage Drinking: Know the Facts, Know the Risks (video and worksheet)
- Alcohol and Your Body: Assessing the Damage (video and worksheet)
- Marijuana and the Teenage Brain (video and worksheets)
- All You Need to Know About Alcohol (video and worksheets)
- The New Marijuana: Higher Potency, Greater Dangers (video and worksheets)
- All You Need to Know About Prescription and OTC Drugs (video and worksheets)
- SIDNE (Simulated Impaired Driving Experience)
Acquired Skills for Youth
- Community Members
- Consequences of Negative Behavior
- Critical Thinking
- Healthy Decision Making
- Healthy Relationships
- Judicial Procedures and Knowledge
- Self Esteem